In this 2-part online webcast from former U.S. Department of Justice attorney Michael Johnson, you will learn how to apply the research-based PEACE investigative interviewing method in the context of a workplace investigation. The PEACE method has been utilized for more than 25 years, and dozens of scientific studies have validated its effectiveness. As a result, several countries require its use in criminal investigations, and many employers around the world have now turned to it for workplace investigations.
Watch Sample Video
In this webcast, you will learn how to apply the PEACE method in your investigative interviews. You will also receive step-by-step guidance on how to complete all aspects of a workplace investigation. By examining videos and case studies, you will learn:
- How to utilize the “Cognitive Interview” to gather more information from each witness
- How to apply research-based methods for detecting signs of deception and truthfulness
- The legal requirements for workplace investigations
- A 6-step process for writing clear and concise investigative reports
Tuesday, December 12, 1 pm to 4 pm EST
PEACE Method of Investigative Interviewing
- P: Preparation and Planning
- E: Engage and Explain
- A: Account, Clarification, and Challenge
- C: Closure
- E: Evaluation
Advanced Interviewing Techniques
In this section, you will learn how to apply the latest research related to investigative interviewing. Among other things, you will learn:
- How to use a journalistic instead of a prosecutorial interview style
- How to use the “Funnel Method” to gather all relevant information from each witness
- How to utilize the “Cognitive Interview,” which is the most widely researched interviewing technique in the world
- How to use, in certain cases, advanced questioning techniques proven to make it easier to differentiate between truthful and deceptive responses, such as:
- Asking the person to draw the event
- Asking the person to tell you what happened in reverse order
- Asking unexpected questions
- Why you should never reveal to a witness that you do not believe him or her until the end of the interview (or a subsequent interview)
- How to respectfully challenge a witness whose answers contradict other witnesses or the evidence
Scientists have found that most stereotypical beliefs about deception are incorrect. For example, liars are NOT more likely to avoid eye contact or appear fidgety. In this section of the course, you will examine numerous videos and transcripts to learn what are accurate and inaccurate cues to deception and truthfulness. Among other things, you will:
- Test your ability to spot deception or truthfulness by watching a video of a suspect interview
- Learn how to strategically approach “he said/she said” cases or cases where there are no eyewitnesses
- Learn which cues to deception have been scientifically validated and which are based on myth
- Learn why cues related to “cognitive effort” are much more predictive of deception than cues related to nervousness
- Learn cues to deception and truthfulness related to verbal content and verbal style
- Learn linguistic cues to deception and truthfulness
- Learn the few non-verbal cues that are associated with deception
Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 1 to 4 pm EST
Legal Requirements of Workplace Investigations
By analyzing several case studies, you will receive step-by-step guidance on how to handle difficult legal and practical dilemmas that investigators often face. Among other things, you will learn the answers to the following questions:
- How many investigators should be present during an investigative interview?
- What do I do if an employee refuses to be interviewed or otherwise cooperate?
- What should I do if the accused brings an attorney, co-worker, or friend to the investigative interview?
- Under what circumstances should I reveal the names of witnesses?
- What are the factors to consider in imposing discipline?
Writing Investigative Reports
You will learn, among other things:
- How to use the investigative report to plan and continually update your investigation strategy
- What to include, and not include, in the report to ensure that it is legally defensible
- How to best document facts and credibility determinations
- How to maintain attorney-client privilege, where applicable
- How to overcome “writer’s block” to greatly increase the speed at which you write
- How to write a report that is not only comprehensive but also clear and concise
Clear Law Institute
Michael Johnson, CEO of Clear Law Institute, is a former U.S. Department of Justice attorney who brought one of DOJ’s first “pattern or practice” sexual harassment cases. He has provided training and consulting on harassment prevention or investigations to organizations around the world, such as the EEOC, the United Nations, and Google. He is a graduate of Duke University and Harvard Law School.
You will receive credit for each session that you attend.
CLE Credits (Law)
|NALA||-||-||Credit not available|
|NFPA||-||-||Credit not available|
|AR||Not Available|| General||On-Demand/Recording|
|KS||Not Available|| General||On-Demand/Recording|
|NE||Not Available|| General||On-Demand/Recording|
|NY||3.5|| Areas of Professional Practice (NY)||On-Demand/Recording|
|RI||Not Available|| General||On-Demand/Recording|
|SC||Not Available|| General||On-Demand/Recording|
|VA||Not Available|| General||On-Demand/Recording|
|WA||3.0|| Law and Legal Procedure||On-Demand/Recording|
In some CLE states, the course will be submitted to the bar after you register. If for any reason the course is not approved, we will fully refund your registration fee. If a state is listed on this course, then we are confident the course fits that state's standards and already is or will be approved for credit.
For Compliance courses, we have listed the credit we believe this course is eligible for. After completing the course, you will receive instructions for submitting the course to the Compliance Certification Board (CCB). This education activity has not been submitted to the Compliance Certification Board (CCB)®for review or approval of its educational content. Please [email protected] directly regarding the applications and documentation necessary to submit applicable compliance related education to CCB for their review.
What is a webinar?
A webinar is simply a seminar that you attend online. You either watch a live video feed of the speaker or listen to the speaker through your computer, tablet or phone’s audio. You see the speaker’s slides, videos, and other presentation materials on your screen.
Can I ask questions during the webinar?
Yes. During the live webinar, you may submit questions and comments and the speaker will respond verbally. For a recorded webinar, your questions will be emailed to the speaker. You will typically receive a response from the speaker within two business days.
Can I attend using a tablet or smartphone?
Yes. You may attend a webinar using a computer, tablet or smartphone.
If I can’t attend a webinar live, can I view the recording later?
Yes. Shortly after each live program ends, we send all webinar registrants a link to the webinar recording. You can view the recording as many times as you like after the live webinar for up to 12 months.
What is an on-demand webinar?
An on-demand webinar is a previously recorded webinar that you may view at any time after your purchase for up to 12 months.
Can I stop a recorded webinar and start it later at the same point?
You can stop a recording and later log back in and navigate to any point in the webinar. The system will not force you to view the entire recording from start to finish.
Can I listen to recorded webinars on a tablet or smartphone?
Yes. You will be able to listen to any of our on-demand webinars on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Is there a deadline to register for a webinar?
You can register for a live webinar up until the time the webinar begins.
Am I able to pay by check or through a Purchase Order?
Yes. Register normally and choose the “pay by check” option. We will then email you an invoice. You can email any Purchase Order numbers to us.
Can I view the webinar even if Clear Law Institute has not yet received my check?
If you are paying by check or using a Purchase Order, you may view the live or recorded webinar even if we have not yet received payment.
To complete the payment process, what if I need Clear Law Institute’s W-9 or vendor registration forms completed?
If you need any additional forms or information to complete the payment process, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
I have not received an email with instructions on accessing the webinar. What should I do?
Please check your spam folder as the instructions email may have ended up there. You can also access the webinar by logging into your account and clicking on “Attend Webinar.” If you still cannot locate the Event URL, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us and we will make sure you receive the instructions immediately.
Do the webinars qualify for Continuing Education Credit?
Almost all of our webinars are approved for continuing education credit, including CLE (in all states), CCB, CPE, HRCI, IRS and SHRM credit. Unlike many providers, we don’t charge you any additional fee to process your credit. If you have specific questions, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
Can I still receive Continuing Education Credits if I view the webinar recording instead of the live presentation?
In most cases, the answer is yes. Recorded webinars are not eligible for CLE credit in the following states: AR, KS, MS, NE, and RI. In all other jurisdictions, recorded programs are eligible for credit. In addition, CPE credit is not available for recorded webinars. Please note that recorded webinars are only eligible for a certain period of time based on the jurisdiction. To ask about your specific type of Continuing Education Credit or the requirements in your jurisdiction, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
Will I receive a certificate of completion after the course?
Yes. A certificate of completion will automatically be uploaded to your Clear Law Institute account after completing the live or on-demand webinar.
Do I need to be a member to receive a certificate of completion?
No. An account will automatically be created for you when registering for a webinar. You will then be able to access your certificate of completion after completing a webinar.
How do I determine my states’s CLE requirements.
Please find your state listed here with instructions for calculating the number of credits in your state.
How will I submit my attendance to receive CLE credit in my state?
Please find your state listed here with instructions for confirming your CLE attendance.
What can I find in my Clear Law Institute account?
Your account is where you can find a list of all webinars you’ve registered for, download event materials, and download certificates after completing webinars. All of this information will be kept in your account so that you can easily track your webinar registrations and continuing education credits.
I completed a webinar, but it is still showing as incomplete in my account.
You may need to hit the verify attendance or mark as complete button next to the webinar title in your account. If hitting this button does not work, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
The materials for my upcoming webinar aren’t available to download.
Materials are available 24 hours prior to the live webinar. If it is past this time and you are unable to download the event materials, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
I downloaded my certificate of completion, but it doesn’t have my continuing education information listed on it.
You may need to update your continuing education profile. You can do this in your account under the My Profile tab. Once updated, this information will be automatically updated on your certificates.
I can’t find my account password.
You can reset your account password here. Your username will always be the email address that you used to register for the webinar.
How does the money-back guarantee work?
Clear Law Institute stands behind all of its courses with a no-risk, money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the quality of a webinar, we will fully refund your money—no questions asked. If you purchase an annual all-access membership, you can cancel within 14 days for a full refund.
Join thousands of professionals who access our hundreds of courses each year. As a member, you’ll benefit from:
- Unlimited Live and On-Demand Courses
- Access Everywhere on Your Computer, Tablet, or Smartphone
- Continuing Education Credit at No Additional Fee
- Convenient Access to Your Course, Course Materials, and Certificates
- Flat, annual fee
- Money-Back Guarantee
for One Price