Are you responsible for payroll or employer tax withholding compliance? Or were you recently hired or promoted into the payroll department? During your indoctrination into payroll, you may be surprised at all the responsibilities and the importance of this role to the success of the company.
In this practical webinar, you will receive a briefing on the basic laws affecting payroll tax compliance. You will learn where to find the authoritative rules to support your policies and procedures – and be equipped to handle your role with confidence.
You will learn about The Fair Labor Standards Act, the foundation of all payroll laws. Enacted in 1938, the FLSA provides basic protections from abuses like failure to pay a minimum wage and overtime pay. You will learn about the child labor laws and the Walsh Healey Act, and then you will learn about the more recently introduced Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Affordable Care Act (ACA). These laws keep changing, resulting in many businesses struggling to comply with regulation. After this practical webinar, you will be able to become the liaison for your business who knows the law and can determine how to comply with utmost efficiency.
Upon course completion, you will be able to:
- Determine who must be treated as an employee vs. who may be treated as an independent contractor
- Identify worker classifications under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Describe other IRS worker classifications
- Determine what constitutes compensable travel time under the Portal Act
- Identify who is entitled to Overtime Pay, including an update on federal actions to change the rules
- Determine what qualifies as hours of work
- Describe “Call back” and “Show-up” pay
- Recognize issues with Form W-4 Exemption Allowances
- Determine how to use Form SS-8 and recognize what to never do with this form
- Use Form 941 quarterly Employee Earnings and Tax Withholding Report
Program Level: Intermediate
Field of Study: Business Law, Taxes
Credit Type: Group-Internet Based for the Live Program.