Legalized cannabis is rapidly making an entrance into all corners of the United States. Currently, nine states and the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for recreational use while an additional twenty states allow medical marijuana for medical purposes. These numbers are likely to grow as the societal and political perspectives on cannabis legalization continue to shift. The ever-changing landscape of legalized marijuana makes it difficult for employers to comply with both state and federal laws and has caused many to question whether their policies and practices should be revised. Employers should evaluate their workforce drug policies and assess whether they are prepared to handle the consequence of their policies in the wake of increased legalization and decreased stigma.
In this practical webinar, you will learn to provide answers to the most common questions asked by employers, such as:
- Can we refuse to hire marijuana users?
- Do we need to change our drug free workplace policy?
- Do we have a duty to accommodate medical marijuana?
- Can we fire an employee if we discover marijuana is being used by a current employee outside of work?
- Is marijuana here to stay?
Among other things, you will learn about the following:
- The most recent status of the law – local, state, federal & global
- Recent developments
- What is means for employers as to drug testing and reasonable accommodating employees
- What it means for employers regarding hiring, firing & discipline
- Recommendations moving forward
- And much more!
Upon course completion, you will be able to:
- Navigate the various nuances of legalized cannabis in the workplace in the wake of increased legalization and decreased stigma