From hiring and promotions to discipline and termination, the employment cycle, to paraphrase the Beatles, can be a long and often winding road. Every step of the way, effective compliance requires that HR professionals understand their legal obligations under myriad federal, state, and local laws. This is no easy task in an environment where workplace law –from the west coast to the east coast – is constantly expanding, and employers’ obligation are continually increasing. For this reason, it is vital for HR professionals to periodically review their current practices to ensure that they are on top of ever-changing laws, the latest legal developments, and employing the best practices.
In this practical webinar, you will learn:
- The ABC’s of conducting an HR Audit from the beginning of the employment relationship to the end;
- How to identify and remedy inadequate policies and practices that may be creating legal vulnerabilities or failing to meet company objectives, such as lack of diversity;
- How to develop appropriate policies and practices in response to new and emerging legal mandates and unsettled law, such as “ban-the-box,” salary history inquiries, paid sick time and LGBTQ issues; and
- The importance of understanding and complying with the growing body of local laws that are playing an ever-larger role in creating employee rights and employer obligations.
Upon course completion, you will be able to:
- Conduct a thorough audit of your company’s HR policies and practices (in all applicable offices, as well as for remote employees);
- Analyze policies and practices for their legality and effectiveness;
- Bring legally noncompliant policies into compliance;
- Address legal obligations for which you currently do not have policies or practices; and
- Anticipate and plan ahead with respect to emerging legal issues and company goals.