Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, shows you how to implement internal control features within your Excel spreadsheets in this empowering presentation. By using a simple invoice form as a teaching aid, he demonstrates several ways you can control users’ actions within an Excel spreadsheet, and how you can protect worksheets and workbooks from unauthorized changes.
David covers such topics as the IFNA, IFERROR, and ISERROR functions; the VLOOKUP function; the SUMIF function; the Data Validation feature; the Conditional Formatting feature; and hide and protect features.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice, first on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second in Excel 2016. He’ll draw to your attention any differences in Excel 2013, 2010, or 2007 during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts.
Who Should Attend:
Practitioners seeking to simplify data entry, as well as those who develop spreadsheets for others to use and want to learn how they can prevent unauthorized changes.
Topics Typically Covered:
- Compare and contrast IFNA, IFERROR, and ISERROR functions and learn which versions of Excel support these worksheet functions.
- Create an in-cell list by way of Excel’s Data Validation feature.
- Create resilient SUM functions that won’t break when users insert additional rows.
- Ensure proper VLOOKUP integrity by using Data Validation to create an in-cell drop-down list.
- Make it harder for a user to circumvent data validation and easy for you to identify when someone has attempted to do so.
- Overcome VLOOKUP’s quirks by using SUMIF to look-up numeric values.
- Preserve key formulas using hide and protect features.
- See how Excel’s Table feature can minimize ongoing spreadsheet maintenance.
- Toggle the Locked status of a worksheet cell on or off by way of a custom shortcut.
- Use a custom number format to hide zero amounts within a specific area of a spreadsheet.
- Use Conditional Formatting to color-code your data, identify duplicates, and apply icons.
- Use Data Validation to create a rule that ensures dates entered within a cell are greater than or equal to today’s date.
- Use Excel’s VLOOKUP function to look up an item description based on an input provided by the user.
- Utilize Data Validation to limit percentages entered in a cell to a specific range of values.
- Improve the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel’s VLOOKUP function.
- Go behind the scenes in a workbook to check for worksheets that can’t be viewed or hidden from Excel’s primary user interface.
- Apply lookup formulas to find and access data automatically from lists.
- Identify how hide and protect features can be used to preserve key formulas.
- Define how to use Excel’s Data Validation feature to restrict data entry to a list of permissible choices.
David H. Ringstrom, CPA, is an author and nationally recognized instructor who teaches scores of webinars each year. His Excel courses are based on 25 years of consulting and teaching experience. David’s mantra is “Either you work Excel, or it works you,” so he focuses on what he sees users don’t, but should, know about Microsoft Excel. His goal is to empower you to use Excel more effectively.
What is a webinar?
A webinar is simply a seminar that you attend online. You either watch a live video feed of the speaker or listen to the speaker through your computer, tablet or phone’s audio. You see the speaker’s slides, videos, and other presentation materials on your screen.
Can I ask questions during the webinar?
Yes. During the live webinar, you may submit questions and comments and the speaker will respond verbally. For a recorded webinar, your questions will be emailed to the speaker. You will typically receive a response from the speaker within two business days.
Can I attend using a tablet or smartphone?
Yes. You may attend a webinar using a computer, tablet or smartphone.
If I can’t attend a webinar live, can I view the recording later?
Yes. Shortly after each live program ends, we send all webinar registrants a link to the webinar recording. You can view the recording as many times as you like after the live webinar for up to 12 months.
What is an on-demand webinar?
An on-demand webinar is a previously recorded webinar that you may view at any time after your purchase for up to 12 months.
Can I stop a recorded webinar and start it later at the same point?
You can stop a recording and later log back in and navigate to any point in the webinar. The system will not force you to view the entire recording from start to finish.
Can I listen to recorded webinars on a tablet or smartphone?
Yes. You will be able to listen to any of our on-demand webinars on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Is there a deadline to register for a webinar?
You can register for a live webinar up until the time the webinar begins.
Am I able to pay by check or through a Purchase Order?
Yes. Register normally and choose the “pay by check” option. We will then email you an invoice. You can email any Purchase Order numbers to us.
Can I view the webinar even if Clear Law Institute has not yet received my check?
If you are paying by check or using a Purchase Order, you may view the live or recorded webinar even if we have not yet received payment.
To complete the payment process, what if I need Clear Law Institute’s W-9 or vendor registration forms completed?
If you need any additional forms or information to complete the payment process, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
I have not received an email with instructions on accessing the webinar. What should I do?
Please check your spam folder as the instructions email may have ended up there. You can also access the webinar by logging into your account and clicking on “Attend Webinar.” If you still cannot locate the Event URL, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us and we will make sure you receive the instructions immediately.
Do the webinars qualify for Continuing Education Credit?
Almost all of our webinars are approved for continuing education credit, including CLE (in all states), CCB, CPE, HRCI, IRS and SHRM credit. Unlike many providers, we don’t charge you any additional fee to process your credit. If you have specific questions, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
Can I still receive Continuing Education Credits if I view the webinar recording instead of the live presentation?
In most cases, the answer is yes. Recorded webinars are not eligible for CLE credit in the following states: AR, KS, MS, NE, and RI. In all other jurisdictions, recorded programs are eligible for credit. In addition, CPE credit is not available for recorded webinars. Please note that recorded webinars are only eligible for a certain period of time based on the jurisdiction. To ask about your specific type of Continuing Education Credit or the requirements in your jurisdiction, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
Will I receive a certificate of completion after the course?
Yes. A certificate of completion will automatically be uploaded to your Clear Law Institute account after completing the live or on-demand webinar.
Do I need to be a member to receive a certificate of completion?
No. An account will automatically be created for you when registering for a webinar. You will then be able to access your certificate of completion after completing a webinar.
How do I determine my states’s CLE requirements.
Please find your state listed here with instructions for calculating the number of credits in your state.
How will I submit my attendance to receive CLE credit in my state?
Please find your state listed here with instructions for confirming your CLE attendance.
What can I find in my Clear Law Institute account?
Your account is where you can find a list of all webinars you’ve registered for, download event materials, and download certificates after completing webinars. All of this information will be kept in your account so that you can easily track your webinar registrations and continuing education credits.
I completed a webinar, but it is still showing as incomplete in my account.
You may need to hit the verify attendance or mark as complete button next to the webinar title in your account. If hitting this button does not work, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
The materials for my upcoming webinar aren’t available to download.
Materials are available 24 hours prior to the live webinar. If it is past this time and you are unable to download the event materials, please call us at 703-372-0550 or contact us.
I downloaded my certificate of completion, but it doesn’t have my continuing education information listed on it.
You may need to update your continuing education profile. You can do this in your account under the My Profile tab. Once updated, this information will be automatically updated on your certificates.
I can’t find my account password.
You can reset your account password here. Your username will always be the email address that you used to register for the webinar.
How does the money-back guarantee work?
Clear Law Institute stands behind all of its courses with a no-risk, money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the quality of a webinar, we will fully refund your money—no questions asked. If you purchase an annual all-access membership, you can cancel within 14 days for a full refund.
Join thousands of professionals who access our hundreds of courses each year. As a member, you’ll benefit from:
- Unlimited Live and On-Demand Courses
- Access Everywhere on Your Computer, Tablet, or Smartphone
- Continuing Education Credit at No Additional Fee
- Convenient Access to Your Course, Course Materials, and Certificates
- Flat, annual fee
- Money-Back Guarantee
for One Price