In this though-provoking and practical seminar, former U.S. Department of Justice attorney Michael W. Johnson will teach you scientifically validated methods for detecting lies and deception in investigative interviews. You will watch real-life videos of liars and truth-tellers being interviewed and learn which cues to deception have been scientifically validated and which are based on myth. You will also examine transcripts of interviews to look for signs of deception and truthfulness.
Detecting cues to deception
- How to strategically approach “he said/she said” cases
- Debunking myths and stereotypes about cues to deception
- Reliable verbal and non-verbal cues to deception
- How to document deceptive statements and behavior
- How to analyze the structure and content of a witness’ verbal or written statements for signs of truthfulness or deception
- Statement Validity Assessment and Reality Monitoring techniques for distinguishing between statements that are based on memory of actual events versus false statements
- 19 signs of truthfulness evaluated in the Content Based Criteria Analysis method, including telling the story in a non-chronological order, large quantity of details, and reproducing conversations instead of paraphrasing
- Word choice, including the use of self-references and personal pronouns, and changes in word choice during the interview
Advanced Interview Techniques
- Effective questioning strategies for eliciting responses that are likely to indicate whether the person is lying
- Scientifically validated interviewing techniques that are widely used by investigators in the UK and other European countries
- “Cognitive Interview” and “Conversation Management” interview techniques
- Interview strategies designed to increase the likelihood that the witness will show signs of deception if he or she is lying.
- Techniques for “reverse order story telling,” use of temporal questions, presenting evidence strategically, and the use of unexpected questions.
- How to follow up when you detect deceptive statements and suspicious behavior
Manual, Detecting Lies and Deception in Investigations
Each attendee receives a comprehensive, step-by-step manual, Detecting Lies and Deception in Investigations to use as a guide for future investigations.
Michael has trained thousands of human resource professionals, ethics and compliance officers, loss prevention professionals, attorneys, and other professionals how to lawfully and effectively investigate allegations of employee misconduct. Michael has provided investigative training for organizations such as Boeing, the Coca-Cola Company, Heinz, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, and the World Bank.
The United Nations selected Mr. Johnson to consult on revisions to its policies and to provide investigative training to its staff in New York and in its peacekeeping missions in the Congo and Sierra Leone.
Michael has served as an expert witness testifying to the adequacy of employers’ internal investigations.
He is a graduate of Duke University and Harvard Law School.
Michael Johnson has provided investigations training to thousands of professionals. Past evaluations of his sessions have averaged 4.8 on a 5.0 scale. We’ve included testimonials from some of his recent sessions.
Health Care Compliance Association Conference
“Mr. Johnson provided one of the most memorable presentations of the institute. It was very enjoyable and eye- opening. Everything we’ve been taught is challenged, and important information was provided to assist in investigations.”
“Mr. Johnson was a complete surprise and delight and obviously knows his stuff. I have been in those situations where obviously someone is not telling the truth but how to tell?!! This was not only educational but entertaining!”
“By far the best session in giving me concrete skills to use. He is an exceptional speaker and very knowledgeable. Enjoyed the case studies and interaction with the audience. His use of humor is wonderful too.”
“Incredible – how much we need information like this. One of the most informative and interesting sessions of the entire week.”
“Michael was clever, engaging, and an excellent speaker with great information. I would have listened all day!”
“This session was packed, seems like a lot of people decided to attend as an alternate and it was well worth sitting on the floor for. Have him back, he is a wealth of knowledge and an excellent speaker/presenter.”
“Wonderful speaker and a packed room. Well worth sitting on the floor!”
“The speaker’s presentation style made the session very enjoyable and the content was fantastic as it really challenged how we have been trained over the years.”
“Very interactive, presented with humor (that keeps everyone engaged). There were videos to view with scenarios. Superb.”
Society for Corporate Compliance and Ethics Conference
“Michael’s style is engaging, if not riveting. He knows how to keep the audience involved and thinking, remains open to questions and differing opinions, and encourages audience interaction. He brings the subject to life and illustrates questions in a meaningful way.”
“Michael was clearly the winning speaker. He was extremely funny and kept people engaged. I learned a great deal during his session. Bring him back for more courses!!!”
“This session was the best out of all presentation given. The speaker was entertaining, yet very professional. I would recommend you use Michael for all of your seminars.”
“Mike Johnson was an exceptional speaker – he was incredibly engaging and learned. His participation was the high point of the workshop. I would strongly encourage you to engage Mr. Johnson in more seminars to teach compliance professionals, we have much to learn from him.”
“Mr Johnson was the most talked about speaker among our group. Great Class.”
“This was the best session in the Workshop, as it really provided what I needed personally to function effectively. I really wish you would make Michael Johnson available to us every so often via a webcast. This was great!”
“Funny presenter that caught my attention. Liked the video demo. And his real life examples.”
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Conference
“Michael Johnson – fantastic, engaging, useful handouts for future reference by HR professionals.”
“Michael Johnson- great speaker and interactive –videos were helpful”
“Michael Johnson appeared prepared and put together a cohesive presentation that included personality.”
“Michael Johnson was amazing!”
“Please bring Michael Johnson back next year!”